Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

About the team

The technical steering team is responsible for all technical decisions in the project. They are responsible for the content and structure of the code base and for all technical priorities with respect to the code base. The ONOS chief architect is the team lead of the technical steering team. 

The following are the current steering team members:

Contact Information

Drop the technical steering team an email if you have a technical or architectural topic to discuss or get guidance for.  The email archive is available for browsing and review of past conversations.

Contributors who wish to collaborate on medium to large feature submissions, are encouraged to follow the suggested process outlined on the Contributing to the ONOS Codebase page.

Recurring Meetings

The team holds PUBLIC and RECORDED meetings every other week, between 09:00 and 10:00 PST/PDT. The meetings are conducted via GoToMeeting. To make accommodations for community members in other time-zones, the TST is open to scheduling meetings outside of the regular times to fit the needs of the presenters or the interested audience. Since it is not possible to accommodate all time-zones at the same time, the meetings notes are generally available as shared Google documents, and whenever possible, recordings will be made and posted on YouTube. These documents are open for editing during the meeting and for comments afterwards. In this way, they can serve as a nexus for off-line discussion on the corresponding topic, especially for those topics which may involve technical decisions, where community feedback is needed and wanted.

The recurring meetings along with their proposed agendas and resulting meeting minutes will be published below (in reverse chronological order). Please see the ONOS calendar for details on the how to join the meetings; each week's entry will be updated to convey the agenda.

Joining the Meeting:

Scheduled & Past Discussion Topics

The TST would like to invite ONOS contributors to propose topics for discussion and/or presentations in the weekly meetings. Feel free to contact TST via email or edit this page to register a topic below:


  • Topics to be determined... suggestions are welcome and appreciated...@09:00 PST
2019/10/16
  • µONOS update: distributed stores, network/device change GUI, cert management, etc.
    @09:00 PDT
2019/10/02
2019/08/14
2019/07/31
2019/07/10
2019/06/26
2019/06/12
2019/05/29
2019/05/15
  • µONOS Project Update and Demo (Andrea, Sean, Jordan, Ray, Thomas)
    The core team will provide a project update and a series of demos showing the newly established process, GitHub repo and related tools. An initial bare-bones demo of the onos-config system will also be shown.
    @09:00 PDT
2019/04/24
  • NG-ONOS, name, repos and further discussion (Thomas & Andrea)
    @09:00 PDT
2019/04/10
2019/03/28
  • NG-ONOS plans, architecture discussion (Thomas & Andrea)
    Note: Unfortunately, no recording is available for this session due to a glitch in the recording.
    @09:00 PDT
2019/03/13
  • Discussion on whether to promote the new GUI2 as the default for the ONOS Raven release. (Sean Condon)
    @09:00 PDT
2019/02/27
  • Raven release progress
    • Upcoming Milestone review
    • How to handle release notes / change-log process - last few releases don’t have one
  • onos-apps-list
    • We have the apps.yaml for builtin apps, but what are the next steps?
    • What external apps should be registered? (SEBA, VOLTHA, …)
    • Summer intern project for installing apps from onos-apps-list
  • NG ONOS
    • Investigating use of ietf-network.yang and item-network-topology.yang via ygot
    • Thoughts on NB and SB being merely gNMI/gNOI
  • Upcoming TST elections
    @09:00 PST
2019/02/20
2019/02/13
  • Brainstorm about architectural requirements for configuration & management aspects for NG ONOS
  • @09:00 PST
2019/01/29
2019/01/23
  • ONOS App Store wiki page
  • Policy framework application from Angelos Mimidis
    @9:00 PST
2018/11/28
2018/11/14
  • Brief update on ONOS 2.0 progress (Karaf upgrade, JDK upgrade, incubator cleanup, no code-base disaggregation)

  • Discussion of Atomix versions in relation to 1.14 & 1.15 releases

  • Declaring intent to start on NG ONOS architecture next year
    @9:00 PST

2018/10/31
2018/10/24
  • Brief update on Apache Karaf 4.2.x upgrade and general discussion
    @9:00 PDT
2018/10/10
  • ONOS Peacock Milestone #1 (Thomas)
    @9:00 PDT
2018/09/12
2018/08/22
2018/08/01
2018/07/18
  • Demo and update on the work being done by Georgios Katsikas to allow control of server NICs using ONOS drivers (Georgios)
    (Unfortunately, owing to network connectivity issues, the recording got garbled and video/audio portions are severely out of sync)
    @09:00 PDT
2018/06/27
2018/06/06
  • Atomix 3.0 and the New Cluster Architecture (Jordan Halterman)
    Slides
2018/05/10
  • Proposal to allow Device Providers to administratively disconnect a device. removing workaround using DEVICE_REMOVED event (Thomas Vachuska)
  • Proposal to address Security issue around Openflow device connection (Brian O'Connor) 
    @09:30 PDT
2018/05/02
2018/04/25
2018/04/04
  • Discuss switching from the Sprint process to Kanban board to track work throughout the release
  • Discuss ideas for "paging" CLI output (and GUI tables) for displaying large numbers of flows, routes, etc.
    Meeting Notes
    @16:00 PDT
2018/03/21
2018/03/14
  • Discussion about how to represent & track dual-tagged hosts. (Charles Chan & Saurav Das)
2018/03/07
2018/02/21
  • Free-form discussion on ONOS scalability. How to measure, scaling with cluster size, memory footprint, performance trade-offs, stress testing, etc.
    Meeting Notes
    @16:00 PST
2018/01/24
2018/01/10
2017/12/21
  • Presentation from Frequentis about their ATM network (Air Traffic Management) solution based on ONOS
    @09:00 PST
2017/11/29

2017/11/15

  • Discussion of tools & other collateral to make ONOS cluster easier to deploy as a set of containers.
    Meeting Notes
    @16:00 PST
2017/10/25
2017/10/04
  • Jenkins Job Builder (Linux Foundation)
  • Current Jenkins Jobs Status (Brian)
    Meeting Notes
    @16:00PDT
2017/09/13
  • Distributed ISSU protocol proposal (Jordan Halterman)@16:00PDT
2017/08/02
  • ONF Transition of source code (Brian)
  • Proposed Module Owner program tweaks (Brian)
  • Proposal to promote some incubator features to core (Thomas)
    Meeting Notes
    @16:00 PDT
2017/07/19
2017/06/21
2017/06/07
  • Presentation & demo from Argela of various ONOS enhancements and potential contributions (Metin Balci)
    Recording and notes are not available
    @09:00 PDT
2017/05/31
  • P4 southbound architecture (Carmelo Cascone)
    Meeting Notes
    @15:00 PDT
2017/05/24
  • Source tree disaggregation using Repo (Zack Williams)
    Meeting Notes
    @16:00 PDT
2017/05/10
2017/05/03
  • Discussion of the “support” model, do we support one past release or two past releases? And what is implied by “support”.

  • Discuss a plan for reducing the growing backlog of code reviews before the K release.
    Meeting Notes
    @16:00 PDT

2017/04/26
  • Discussion about onos-loxi (Murat)
  • Build and Package brigade work week recap (Viswa)
    Meeting Notes
    @16:00 PDT
2017/04/19
2017/04/12
  • Documentation discussion (Bob Lantz et al.)
    Meeting Notes
    @16:00 PDT
2017/03/22
2017/03/15
  • Non-disruptive Intent reallocation (Antonio Marsico)
    Meeting Notes
    @9:00 PDT
2017/02/22
  • Memory Management System (MMS) for SDN platforms (Roberto Doriguzzi Corin)
  • Publishing docker images during the ONOS build (Ali, Jono)
    @9:00 PST
2017/02/15
  • How to enhance the Intent Installer to support new types of Intents (Yi, Pier, Andreas & Michele)
    Meeting Notes
    @9:00 PST
2017/02/01
  • How to support seamlessly using multiple protocols on a single device (Andrea Campanella)
  • Proposal for coordinating resource reservations across complication of multiple separate, but related intents (Luca Prete)
    @16:00 PST
    Meeting Notes
2017/01/25
  • How to enhance the intent subsystem & flow objective intent compilers to properly use groups for sending traffic out multiple ports
  • How to coordinate resource reservations across complication of multiple separate, but related intents
    @16:00 PST
    Meeting Notes
2017/01/11
  • Discussion about ONOS development and deployment environments, tools and best-practices (Luca Prete, Thomas Vachuska)
    @16:00 PDT
    Meeting Notes
2017/01/04
2016/11/29
  • Discussion on how we can better manage the various ONOS projects, including the distributed platform, network core, and various contributor projects.
2016/11/23
  • Proposal for integrating POF protocol to ONOS (Zuqing Zhu, Harold Huang, Lucas Lee, Sicheng Zhao, Quanying Sun)
    @16:00 PDT
2016/11/16
  • Cancelled

2016/11/09

  • Cancelled
2016/10/26
  • Proposal for changing the way we use Jira for release and sprint planning (Uyen)

  • Discussion of outstanding issues for deprecation of pom.xml files (Brian & Thomas)
    @16:00 PDT

2016/10/12
  • YANG-based L3VPN applications (Hongtao Yin)
    @16:00 PDT
2016/10/05
  • Proposal for improvements to AAA in ONOS (Viswa)
    Meeting Notes
    @9:30 PDT
2016/09/28
  • Proposal for model-driven external application interfaces (Robert Tao)
  • 1.7.1 Release plan (Brian)
  • Buck Update (Brian/Ray)
    Meeting Notes
    @16:00 PDT
2016/09/14
  • L3VPN project proposal (Patrick Liu/Lu Kai/Hongtao Yin) postponed
  • Proposal for ONOS performance improvement (Patrick Liu/Jin Gan)
    Meeting Notes
    @16:00 PDT
2016/09/07
  • Discussion about ONOS Build event agenda (David)
  • Discussion about PuntObjective as a variant of FilteringObjective (Ali, Jono)
    Meeting Notes
    @9:30 PDT
2016/08/31
  • Discussion about maintenance and versioning of system-level documentation (Ayaka, Bob, David)
    Meeting Notes
    @15:00 PDT
2016/08/24
  • Discussion about project-specific Git repositories (Thomas)

  • SDN controller benchmarking reports analysis and testing cases proposal, plus a demo if time allows (Jiang Rui/Patrick Liu)

    Meeting Notes
    @9:30 PDT
2016/08/10
2016/08/03
2016/07/27
2016/07/20
2016/07/13
2016/07/06
  • ONOS Projects Lifecycle (Bill)
  • Access Control based on DHCP Proposal (Alexis)

    Meeting Notes
    @16:00 PDT
2016/06/15
2016/06/01
  • Recent community survey findings and a discussion with the group about ways to address those points (David & William)
  • Demo of the YANG utilities and YANG shell (Patrick, Gaurav & Vinod)
    Meeting Notes
    @09:00 PDT

2016/05/19

2016/05/17

  • LISP presentation (Jian Li)
    @2:00 PDT
2016/05/04
  • Presentation about NEMO language - a declarative service level network programming language. It is implemented in OpenDaylight Beryllium release.
    1. provide ONOS with an intent description language
    2. build a controller independent layer, so that all the scenarios that built in ODL can also apply to ONOS.
2016/04/27
  • IPInfusion proposal presentation (Tetsuya)
2016/04/20
2016/03/30
2016/03/29
  • Happiest Minds will present their proposals for ONOS collaboration.

2016/03/23

  • Module owner discussion
  • Discussion of proposal to have multi-valued traffic selector/extensions (Satish K.)
2016/02/25
  • Satish Karunanithi will present his proposal to use PCECC as SDN transition solution with ONOS. (See ONOS calendar entry for details)
2016/02/17
2016/02/10
2016/01/27
  • ACINO presentation by Domenico Siracusa
2016/01/20
2016/01/13
2016/01/06
  • Discussion of Scrum process and use of Jira for providing visibility of progress. (Thomas)
2015/12/02
2015/11/11
  • Presentation of scalable DPI engine mechanism for ONOS for both on-platform and off-platform DPI applications (Taesang Choi & Sangsik Yoon)
  • (Backup Topic) Informal discussion of strategy for off-platform ONOS applications (Thomas & Brian)
2015/11/04
2015/10/21
  • Discuss various aspects of using NETCONF/YANG in the context of ONOS (Peter Lee from ClearPath, Larry, et al.)

    • both for consuming SB-oriented device configuration models

    • and for exposing NB-oriented network-wide configuration models

2015/10/14
2015/10/07
  • Topology models, BGP-LS provider and related GUI enhancement suggestions (Satish K.)
2015/09/30
2015/06/24
  • Hardening & Refining Distributed primitives (Brian)
  • Network Virtualization strategy (Thomas)
2015/04/29
  • Driver framework overview (Thomas)
2015/04/15
  • How many releases back should ONOS be supported? Now and in future.
    • Current decision is to support 6 months back (current and previous release) for bugs and 1 year back for security fixes
  • What should be the policy & process for deprecating Java APIs?
    • Deprecate in one release, remove in the next?
  • Nursery core & API to allow incubation and separability
    • Use @Beta annotation
2015/04/01
  • Table Pipeline API & drivers (Ali)
  • Overview of distributed application subsystem (Thomas)
  • Overview of distributed configuration subsystem (Thomas)
  • Call for re-write of sample applications using intent subsystem
  • Open discussion on future topics
2015/02/18
  • Axing the trivial stores
    • The trivial stores are no longer useful since the distributed stores have been completely functional for a single instance.
  • Performance testing scenarios
    • Flow system tests varying amount of work while varying the amount of communication.
  • Bundle karaf with ONOS?
    • This would make installation easier.
  • Improved Support for multi-tables.
    • Provide a sort of SelectorService which would return a "pipeline template" for the device the user wants to install a flow on.
2015/02/04
  • Tunnels or Virtual Links
    • There are a number of use cases and applications that want or need this abstraction; discuss some high level approaches.
  • No labels