- Either the <major> or the <minor> version will be incremented for each release. The Technical Steering Team will decide whether to increment the major or minor number for the release. This decision will depend on a number of different factors such as incompatibility with existing APIs etc.
- <revision> is incremented for a fix (or set of fixes) on a maintenance branch that justifies a new maintenance "release". Note: the revision number is optional when it is zero.
- 1.0.0rc1 - release candidate for 1.0.0. rc1 is a temporary tag that gets cleaned up after 1.0.0 is tagged final.
- 1.0.0 - Open source ONOS release on Dec 5th, 2014
- 1.0.1 - First maintenance release for 1.0.0
The past two releases will be supported. The only changes allowed on these releases will be security patches and critical defects that are blocking deployments. Security patches will be proactively applied to the supported releases, whereas critical defects will be addressed by community request. The defects should have JIRA tickets associated with them. Releases will be done periodically, as needed. A release can be requested by the community by sending a request to the TST mailing list.
Defects fixes in previous versions should be ported forward to all versions released since then, including master. For example, a fix in version 1.8 should be ported to 1.9, etc... and master. The module owner should assess the changes and drive the cherry-pick process.
During the development cycle and for easy identification post-release, each release is also identified by a "code" name in addition to the version. Releases are named after birds because they are beautiful, found worldwide, are colorful and graceful, make beautiful music...and because they signify something taking flight into the wild blue yonder, something we advocate for SDN and NFV. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, birds work together in flight to reduce the load on each other so that they can fly long distances (for example, the V formation)...and, we hope that everyone in the ONOS community will adopt the same philosophy of helping each other to make ONOS great. We name them in alphabetical order.
Release Names and Versions
The following table has been discontinued. Go to
for the most up to date release information.
|Name||VERSION||Dates||Notes||About the name||Presentation||Related Press|
May 31, 2017
FF: May 12, 2017
Feb. 28, 2017
FF: Feb. 10, 2017
|Release Content||About the bird|
|Ibis||1.8.0||Dec. 2, 2016||Release Content||About the bird|
|Hummingbird||1.7.0||Aug. 31, 2016||Feature Summary||About the bird||pptx||Press|
|Goldeneye||1.6.0||Jun. 10, 2016||Release Notes||About the bird||pptx||Press|
|Falcon||1.5.0||Mar. 10, 2016||Release Notes||About the bird||pptx||Press|
|Emu||1.4.0||Dec. 16, 2015||About the bird||pptx||Press|
|Drake||1.3.0||Sept. 18, 2015||About the bird||pptx||Press|
|Cardinal||1.2.2||Sept. 1, 2015|
(Stanford "Cardinal" refers to the color, NOT the bird)
|1.2.1||June 25, 2015|
|1.2.0||June 5, 2015|
|Blackbird||1.1.0||Mar. 17, 2015||Press|
|1.0.1||Jan 21st, 2015||About the bird|
|1.0.0||Dec 5th, 2014|
To generate release detailed notes, use https://jira.onosproject.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10105
You can find details on versioning and naming of releases here.